Tax aid program available
CADILLAC — The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program is available by appointment only on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
To make an appointment for the free service, call 231-779-9420.
Registrations open for free Healthy Aging programs
CADILLAC — In keeping with the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Michigan’s (AAANM) primary goal, to help seniors age with independence, dignity and quality of life, the Agency has announced four free workshops in Cadillac. These Healthy Aging Programs empower seniors to take a more active role in managing their particular health condition. In addition to providing nationally-recognized programs, these free, multi-session, interactive workshops give seniors a forum to share their experiences, help others and learn from others.
Space is limited and pre-registration is required for all courses. Call 1-800-442-1713 to register or for more information.
• Diabetes PATH: Six-session, evidence-based program that uses interactive education, a variety of self-management tools (such as monitoring, menu planning and stress reduction) and weekly goal-setting to empower participants to take a more active role in managing prediabetes or diabetes. 1:30 to 4 p.m. on Mondays from Feb. 18 through March 25 — please note change of dates. Located at Michigan State University Extension Office, Large Conference Room, 401 N. Lake St., #400, Cadillac.
• Creating Confident Caregivers: Six-session, evidence-based program designed to help family caregivers of someone living with memory loss at home. Provides tools, strategies and activities to build the caregiver’s skills and knowledge. Stress reduction and self-care are emphasized. Respite care may be available. 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesdays from Feb. 27 until April 3 or 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays from July 2 until Aug. 6. Located at Wexford County Council on Aging, 714 13th St., Cadillac.
• Chronic Pain PATH: Six-session, evidence-based program that uses interactive education, a variety of self-management tools (relaxation techniques, planning and pacing) and weekly goal-setting to empower participants to take a more active role in managing their chronic pain. 1 to 3:30 p.m. Mondays from April 15 until May 20. Located at Michigan State University Extension Office, Large Conference Room, 401 N. Lake St., #400, Cadillac.
Senior citizen center lists schedule of events
CADILLAC — The Cadillac Senior Center has scheduled the following events for today through Tuesday, Feb. 19, at the center. No drop-in office hours on Tuesdays. Reservations must be made for lunches no later than the day before by calling (231) 779-9420.
• Tuesday — 8 a.m. aerobics, 1 p.m. bowling at Parkview Lanes
• Wednesday — 8 a.m. aerobics, 10 a.m. painting class, 10 a.m. Wii games, 10 a.m. aquatics, noon lunch of spinach cranberry salad, loaded macaroni and cheese with ham and bacon, garlic twist, vanilla pudding and chilled fruit, 12:30 p.m. knitting
• Thursday — 10:30 a.m. Tai Chi, 11 a.m. card creations, noon Valentin's Day party/lunch of seven-layer salad, chicken and dumplings, dinner roll, steamed corn, banana bread and fresh fruit, 12:30 p.m. euchre, 1 p.m. line dance
• Friday — 8 a.m. aerobics, 10 a.m. aquatics, 1 p.m. bowling, 12:30 p.m. bridge club
• Monday — 10 a.m. aquatics, 10:30 a.m. Tai Chi, noon pizza party lunch, 12:30 p.m. Bingo
• Tuesday — 8 a.m. aerobics, 1 p.m. bowling at Parkview Lanes, 8:45 a.m. Soaring Eagle
Lake City Senior Center
LAKE CITY — The Lake City Senior Center has scheduled the following events:
Meals are served at noon on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Reservations must be made no later than the day before by calling the center during normal hours at 839-4351:
• Tuesday — Hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Potluck at noon, bring a dish to pass. 1 p.m. card Bingo.
• Wednesday — Hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Noon, lunch bunch
Manton Senior Center
MANTON — The Manton Senior Center has scheduled the following events for today through Tuesday, Feb. 19, at the center. Suggested donation is $3 if over 60, $5 if under 60. Milk and bread are served with every meal. For more information, call 231-824-6961.
• Tuesday — 10 a.m. Tai Chi. Penny Bingo. Lunch of goulash, beets, spinach and apricots.
• Wednesday, Feb. 13 — Wii Bowling. Lunch of sausage egg bake with hashbrowns, mixed fruit and juice.
• Thursday, Feb. 14 — 1 a.m. PowerSit. Valentine's Party. Lunch of stuffed chicken, mashed potatoes, Tuscan blend, cake and fruit.
• Friday, Feb. 15 — Quarter Bingo. Lunch of cod fillets, potatoes, tossed salad and mandarin oranges.
• Monday, Feb. 18 — Euchre. Lunch of turkey fillets, potatoes, squash and cranberries.
• Tuesday, Feb. 19 — 10 a.m. Tai Chi. Penny Bingo. Lunch of Spanish pork chops, mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, and pears.
Senior bowling league
CADILLAC — A senior bowling league meets each Tuesday and Friday at 1 p.m. at Parkview Lanes.
The cost to participate is $7.50 per day of bowling.
Grand Slam Bridge Club
Results from play on Feb. 5:
1. Jackie Moffit
2. Dave Wildbur