Manton motel burn victim undergoing surgery soon to remove trach tube

In this Cadillac News file photo, from right, Brian Adams sits with father, Rob.

DETROIT — The road to recovery has been long and painful for Brian Adams, who was severely burned in a Manton motel explosion in May 2017, but there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Later this month, Brian is scheduled to have the tracheostomy tube removed from his throat and his airway corrected.

A tracheostomy is a surgical procedure to create an opening through the neck into the trachea. A tube is placed through this opening to provide an airway and to remove secretions from the lungs, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Brian’s father, Rob, said the trach is being removed because Brian no longer needs it to assist his breathing.

Brian said he’s looking forward to having the trach removed because it will improve his independence.

Since the time the trach was inserted, someone with training on how to clean the tube had to be at Brian’s side at all times.

That person has been Rob, who has been unable to work during this period because of the medical attention required by his son.

If all goes as planned and the trach is successfully removed, Rob said he hopes to get back to work as soon as possible.

This good news couldn’t come soon enough, Rob said, as they are struggling to adjust to mounting medical bills and travel expenses from regular trips to Massachusetts, where Brian receives treatment at Boston Children’s Hospital.

“This is the day we’ve been trying to get to,‘ Rob said.

Rob said Brian’s brother, Marcus Thomas, who also was injured in the fire, is almost completely through all his medical procedures.

Brian has a long road ahead, however.

In addition to getting the tube removed, Rob said Brian has a number of other procedures planned for the next several months, including multiple skin grafts, reconstructive surgery to repair parts of his face, and a procedure to repair a portion of his scalp that doesn’t grow hair.

Recently, surgeons used a laser to create pores in Brian’s skin, which had been previously been destroyed in the fire.

“This kid’s a fighter,‘ Rob said. “He’s a superhero or something. I’m blessed to have him.‘

Brian was severely burned over 92 percent of his body on May 17, when there was an explosion and fire at the Manton motel where he was staying with his mother, Amanda Skardoutos.

It is believed the fire and subsequent explosion were caused by Skardoutos making butane hash oil in her motel room.

On Nov. 13, Skardoutos was sentenced to between 80 months and 10 years for two child abuse convictions, and between 67 months and 10 years, with 37 days credited, for an arson conviction.

Brian and Rob had been living in the Manton area for a time after the fire but they moved to Detroit several months ago.

Rob, who had been living in Detroit prior to the fire, said the move back was made primarily for financial reasons and to be closer to his mother.

Rob has set up a Gofundme page to accept donations toward their expenses. The page is https://www.gofundme.com/d5jffn-i-need-everyones-help.