CADILLAC — The Wexford County Prosecutor’s Office will no longer be presiding over a case involving a 17-year-old Cadillac teen who allegedly made threats against Cadillac High School and one of its students after it was determined there was a conflict of interest.
Wexford County Prosecutor Jason Elmore said Tuesday it was recently determined one of the alleged victims is the daughter of a person who was a former secretary of his. To protect against any appearance of a conflict of interest, Elmore said his office has petitioned the Attorney General for a special prosecutor.
“While there is no direct conflict, we believe it is fair to all involved,‘ he said.
Kaiden Alan George was charged last week with one count of schools — intentional threat to commit an act of violence against school, school employees or students with a specific intent to carry out or overt act toward, for his connection with an incident occurring on June 3 in Cadillac.
If convicted, George faces up to 10 years in prison and/or a $20,000 fine.
The charge is merely an accusation and not evidence of guilt. George is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law. The prosecution has the burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
Cadillac Area Public Schools Superintendent Jennifer Brown said Tuesday the district was made aware of the threat on June 3 after a student came forward with information about George’s alleged threat. She did not go into detail about his alleged threat, but added it was “concerning and of a threatening nature.‘
After talking with the students involved on the morning of June 4, Brown said it was decided to reach out to the Cadillac Police Department. She said George was not in school on June 4 as he was told to stay home. The threat was made verbally, according to Brown.
The high school and district were never put on lockdown, but Brown said she would have authorized it being put into secure mode if the police hadn’t determined there was no immediate threat to the building or students.
In a press release issued by the Cadillac Police Department on June 4, it said the department takes any threats of harm to schools very seriously. Officers immediately responded on June 4 to the school to assist with security while other officers investigated the threat and contacted George and parents.